Re: FEniCS'06 post-mortem

One other way to think about FEniCS is as a problem solving environment and
the web application as a possible public PSE interface. The form would be
one aspect of the application as would be a visualization/result query
interface, but all the processing FEniCS does would execute on the server
side.

Having built two such systems, the work involved is non-trivial and would be
an additional drain on development resources. On top of that, it comes with
its own build and release headaches. Even though I love that kind of
architecture, and feel it would be something we should put on the list, I
don't think this would be the time to do it.

Theo

On Fri, Nov 17, 2006 at 04:28:13AM -0600, Matthew Knepley wrote:

> This is not the big problem here I think (Python has an
> rshell). Whenever you distribute code (generated or not) you
> implicitly rely on a sahred body of support code. This is exactly
> the problem with Java. Its relied heavily on the libraries rather
> than just the machine. I cannot yet see how we could generate
> something that was usable apart from the FEniCS framework, in which
> case the user was able to install, so why have a webform at all?

Yes, I'm thinking along these lines as well. If we have virtual
machines as a possibility, then why not simply provide public shell
access to an installed FEniCS environment in an isolated sandbox?

We could have a web form where you can define a form and coefficients,
and which then solves the equation and plots the solution, but I'm not
really sure if that would target the correct audience.

  Johan