Re: Viper

On Mon, Apr 23, 2007 at 02:25:13PM +0200, Garth N. Wells wrote:

> Anders Logg wrote:
> > Two questions:
> >
> >   1. Are there any objections to making Viper an official project?
> >

> In principle no, but ParaView III (which is under development)
> and MayaVi 2 (which has a much improved user interface) both use VTK and
> have a Python interface, so I wonder if it would be better to use these
> existing packages.

Viper has a somewhat different focus. It is just a minimal plot()
command that can be used either for postprocessing or interactively
during a computation. At least before, the Python bindings for MayaVi
have been difficult to use and you always get the GUI (not just the
plot).

> >   2. Has anyone tried it out?
> >

> Yes, a while ago. I found it a bit hard to use as I didn't know the key
> bindings. Some documentation on this would be nice.

I'm sure that can be arranged. Ola?

/Anders