Re: New FEniCS project on G2 solver

> On Wed, Apr 25, 2007 at 08:27:40PM +0200, Johan Hoffman wrote:
>
>> Yes, boosting interest is good, but why can't the two be combined? I
>> would prefer a single project dolfin-modules containing a collection of
>> DOLFIN solvers, including your solvers and others.
>> >
>> > /Anders
>> >

>> I do not understand. What other solvers are you referring to?
>> I talk about to constitute our new project is the Navier-Stokes/Euler
>> solvers (compressible + incompressible, the ALE-FSI solver, and the
>> elasticity solver. In the list at
>> www.fenics.org/wiki/DOLFIN_solver_modules, I can only see Stokes,
>> Poisson,
>> heat eqn. and convection-diffusion, apart from these. Are these the
>> solvers you refer to? I consider these solvers rather being simple
>> demos,
>> to either stay in the Dolfin-kernel for demo/test, or to be dropped, not
>> being part of a solver project for advanced applications.
>>
>> If the motive of such a dolfin-module project would only be a showcase
>> of
>> a collection of Dolfin solvers, I think we might as well host a webpage
>> at
>> the wiki with links to download the solvers from developers together
>> with
>> info on what version of Dolfin it works for, and couple this to the
>> gallery. This would serve the purpose and would minimize maintainment
>> work. And here our new project would also be present for showcasing
>> Dolfin.
>>
>> The project I suggest is not just a showcase of Dolfin solvers, it is
>> aimed at developing solvers for automating/generalizing modelling for
>> advanced applications in different areas. For starters, our NS-solver
>> for
>> turbulent flow would fit here as an automated turbulence solver, using
>> one
>> simple method (G2 including adaptivity) for "all" turbulent flows
>> (contrary to common practise of using specific turbulence models for
>> different flows). We are now working on generalizing this solver to
>> compressible flow and fluid-structure interaction. Thus there would then
>> be one solver for turbulent fluid-structure interaction, which would
>> correspond to automated modeling of FSI.
>>
>> So far we have no FEniCS project on advanced solvers or automation of
>> modeling, so this project would fill that gap, and would not interfere
>> with any other FEniCS project as far as I can see.
>
> True, but why must the set of solvers be limited to NSE with cG(1)?

It is not, initially it would include incompressible/compressible flow,
fluid-structure interaction, including visco-elasto-plastic material and
contact. I am not talking about cG(1), I am talking about G2 which refers
to Galerkins method together with L2-control of part of the residual (that
is, it includes about all FEM, FDM, FVM methods) together with a
posteriori error adaptivity. Which is not that restricted.

> Examples of other solvers that would be nice to see in a
> dolfin-modules collection would be the plasticity solver and the
> other modules we just removed along with the NSE solver. Indeed some
> of these were very simple, but they don't need to be. The goal has
> always been that the modules would offer more than the demos. Just
> having an adaptive and very efficient Poisson solver in such a
> collection of modules would be very useful.

They are included, see above.

>> If the name is disturbing, signaling exclusivity, we can use another
>> name,
>> not containing FEniCS or Dolfin. If then someone else want to publish an
>> advanced solver project at FEniCS that is of course also very welcome.
>> So
>> far I have heard nothing about such a project.
>>
>> /Johan
>
> I don't mind the name, I just think here is a chance to take the
> DOLFIN modules and make something very good and useful of them, which
> would be to offer a collection of very efficient, adaptive and
> polished solvers for a range of equations.

We have indeed the goal to make this good and useful, and adaptive. And
sooner or later it will be polished as well.

I do not see any argument against what we are proposing.

We could of course publish our solver somewhere else, but that would make
little sense. I expect this project to be of much benefit for FEniCS, and
by publishing our development at www.fenics.org we invite to a
collaborative effort.

/Johan