Re: boundary condition implementation

Gideon Simpson wrote:
Something I discovered that I'm hoping someone will clarify is the following. Let A be the matrix associated with a Finite Element formulation of Poisson's equation, as in the example in the demo directory. If one exams the eigenvalues of A before the application of the BC's, there is a zero eigenvalue, while afterwards, there is no such troublemaker.

This is correct. What it's telling you is that you need to supply a Dirichlet boundary condition to ensure that the solution is unique.

Thinking of A in terms of its associated weak form, I fully expected A to be a positive definite, symmetric matrix. This is not the case.

Inspecting of the form, I would expect a positive semi-definite matrix if you don't say anything about the value of functions at the boundary.

Garth

-gideon