Re: Hertzian contact

Artur P. wrote:
Hello,

is anybody able to share some example of elastic (Hertzian) contact problem implementation? As far as I found - Ko module does it, but have no clue how could be done. I found some papers dealing with this topic, but the functionals describing such a problem with millions of indices are just scary ;-) and seem to be hard to be implemented (for me).

Thanks for any respond
best regards
artur
Hi!

Ko implemented what could be called a Hertzian contact model, we've called it "mass-spring", a discrete model based on contacting spheres. Unicorn is a FEniCS project which aims to unify continuum mechanics models and solvers in FEniCS, and Ko is a natural part of Unicorn. However, the contact model has not been a priority and we haven't spent resources on porting it over to Unicorn yet.

If you want to take a look, head over to:

http://www.fenics.org/wiki/Unicorn

 Johan