Re: fenics can't be installed on ubuntu 8.04

I assume you followed the instructions on packages.simula.no? I did the upgrade on Friday, and it worked for me (except some problems with openmpi, but a package that fixes this problem is already available in our repository). Try to apt-get purge the old packages. Like it says on the website are the packages build for Gutsty, but we are working on the Hardy versions.

Will send a copy of this email to deb-dev@xxxxxxxxxx, where this question belongs.

ilmar

Chong Luo skrev:
I recently migrated from debian testing to ubuntu 8.04. It was great: fast and recognized all my hardware. However, fenics couldn't be installed. Here is the error message:

aharon@aharon-desktop:~$ sudo apt-get install fenics
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree Reading state information... Done
or been moved out of Incoming.

that package should be filed.

  fenics: Depends: libdolfin but it is not going to be installed
          Depends: libdolfin-dev but it is not going to be installed
          Depends: syfi but it is not going to be installed
          Depends: meshbuilder but it is not going to be installed
E: Broken packages

aharon@aharon-desktop:~$ sudo apt-get install libdolfin
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree Reading state information... Done
or been moved out of Incoming.

that package should be filed.

  libdolfin: Depends: libsuitesparse but it is not installable
E: Broken packages

aharon@aharon-desktop:~$ apt-cache search --names-only libsuitesparse
libsuitesparse-3.1.0 - collection of libraries for computations for sparse matrices libsuitesparse-dbg - collection of libraries for computations for sparse matrices libsuitesparse-dev - collection of libraries for computations for sparse matrices libsuitesparse-doc - collection of libraries for computations for sparse matrices

It seemed that the package libsuitesparse was renamed to libsuitesparse-3.1.0.

Could you fix this when you have time? I wish I knew how to do it, but I don't.

Thank you.

Best,
Chong Luo