Parallel FEniCS performance as priority

Hi!

The upcoming FEniCS conference is a good opportunity for a directed push in the development in FEniCS. There has been activity in parallel computing in FEniCS over the last two years, but the critical mass to make parallel performance an integral part of FEniCS has not yet been attained.

I would like to float the idea of making parallel performance the target for the conference. A realistic goal could be strong near-linear scaling up to ~100 CPUs for a non-trivial PDE (e.g. Navier-Stokes).

Currently there are two branches of parallel development: 1. a branch based on DOLFIN 0.8.0 (the work of Niclas Jansson at CTL/KTH) and 2. the trunk of DOLFIN (joint effort by DOLFIN developers to integrate Niclas' branch with other parallel work and DOLFIN updates). The performance results are already there in 1, and progress has already been made in the integration in 2 (helped nicely by Anders Logg hosting a week of code in Smögen this fall).

Parallel computing is one of the key research areas of the CTL group at KTH, and we intend to put significant effort into reaching the target, given that this strategy is adopted. I think by making parallel performance top priority in the project, it would also be a realistic target, and open up the project to new applications, more exposure, etc.

Best,
 Johan

Follow ups