Re: Documentation effort

As a user who has come to FEniCS in the last month or so, I have some direct experience of the existing documentation. I just wanted to make a few points, which do represent a personal point of view, but are probably also representative of a certain type of user.

Paper-style documentation in pdf or book form is not very useful. Whilst I would read something like that if studying maths or physics, HTML is much more useful for a computing language. Examples can be downloaded, and it is much more easily searchable.

The demos are great, and the best thing you've got at the moment. I find myself using "grep" on them to find the specific feature which I am interested in. I agree that they shouldn't be too heavily commented.

The doxygen generated documentation is fine, but it is a bit overwhelming, and it has no examples in it.

My preferred documentation model would be something like perldoc.perl.org or php.net which have well-written pages on each function etc. with sections on parameters, return values, links to related functions, and examples. If you have something like this, plus the demos, that's all you need.

Another model would be to use something like "dokuwiki" which would allow collaboration on generating searchable, crosslinked documentation with embedded examples.

Chris Richardson

P.S. I'm happy to help with the documentation effort in any way, e.g. proof-reading, road-testing, etc. once it
is decided.

--
Chris Richardson
BP Institute, Madingley Rd,