Re: Demo documentation

On 27 April 2010 11:41, Garth N. Wells <gnw20@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 27/04/10 10:32, Anders Logg wrote:

On Tue, Apr 27, 2010 at 10:28:13AM +0100, Garth N. Wells wrote:

On 27/04/10 10:11, Kristian Oelgaard wrote:

On 27 April 2010 10:50, Garth N. Wells<gnw20@xxxxxxxxx>  wrote:

I'm wondering if it's appropriate to separate the documentation for
demos
into C++ and Python versions since a good fraction is common. We could
combine it into one file, or split into three (rather than the two
which we
have now) with

I think it is a matter of taste.

My point is not so much taste, but how best to avoid duplication.
How can we best avoid duplicating the description of the equation
and method?

In this case, I think duplication is good, in particular since both
versions will originate from a common source (so there is really no
duplication).

At present, it doesn't come from a common source. That's my point.

It does now :) let's see if this approach works out for us.
We're still in the process of figuring out best practices using Sphinx for our needs w.r.t. the documentation, but hopefully these discussions can help with that.

Kristian

Garth

I imagine it is easier for a Python user to click on a link for a demo
and get the full info on one page: the background/overview/equations
and the Python code.

The C++ user would get the same experience and the common intro is
just a separate file which gets included.

Garth

I was thinking that we could have the
common text in separate *.rst files and then include them where
appropriate in the C++ and Python specific files. Such that we have (in
the demo dir):
common/*.rst
cpp/*.rst
python/*.rst

With this approach it will be possible to print a self contained version
for either C++ or Python. It might not be very interesting for the
demos, but the Tutorial and Programmer's reference could benefit from
this approach.

Kristian

1. Problem and method description
2. Documentation of C++ demo code