Re: FEniCS documentation

On 29 April 2010 15:52, Anders Logg <logg@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Thu, Apr 29, 2010 at 03:49:30PM +0200, Kristian Oelgaard wrote:

On 29 April 2010 15:43, Anders Logg <logg@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>On Thu, Apr 29, 2010 at 02:21:49PM +0100, Garth N. Wells wrote:

>>>Maybe we don't need to add all of them before we have a better idea
>>>about the categories.
>>>I don't think we'll get it right the first time anyway though.

>>>No, not yet, but I think the structure in the DOLFIN source tree is
>>>pretty logical.
>>>The question is if we can match everything up with a demo, although it
>>>would be nice if we could.
>>>

>>I'm not so sure that this is possible/sensible. The demos
>>'demonstrate' how to solve various problems and how to use various
>>features. Shouldn't the programmers reference document the
>>interface?
>
>I think there's also room for simple demos that illustrate the use
>of basic classes like Mesh, MeshFunction, input/output, linear
>algebra, parameters etc like we have now, without necessarily solving
>a PDE.

Yes, sure. The example code in the programmer's reference should just cover one function and the immediate usage, but then we can link to a demo that puts the use in a more elaborate context.

Kristian

I guess the difference is that the programmer's reference can contain
code snippets (which probably won't run without extra stuff added) but
the demos must be stand-alone programs that do all that extra stuff
(like actually creating a mesh before using it).

Yes, exactly. That's a good definition, let's stick to that.

Kristian