Re: Line breaks and reST

On 18 June 2010 12:35, Harish Narayanan <harish.mlists@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Dear reST experts,
>
> As I was writing my first ever page in reST yesterday, I realised it
> sometimes did not play well with hard line breaks. In particular,
> bulleted/enumerated lists and Emacs auto-fill-mode. This resulted in
> me needing to do thing like:
>
> # Small point that looks good.
> # Tiny point.
> # Really long bullet that ought to be fit in one line and therefore
> doesn't look so nice in the source file and makes revision control look
> stupid because a small change in a paragraph-long sentence will be
> recorded as a change in a really big block, all of which is kinda annoying.
>
> Is there an easy way around this?

I'm not sure I get your question probably because I don't use Emacs,
I just switched to gvim from gedit (for writing docs) to get reST
syntax highlighting and block indentation (which was removed from the
latest gedit :( ).

Anyway, I broke the long line (to match
http://www.fenics.org/newdoc/styleguides.html#styleguides-sphinx-coding-style)
and indented it:

# Small point that looks good.
# Tiny point.
# Really long bullet that ought to be fit in one line and therefore
   doesn't look so nice in the source file and makes revision control look
   stupid because a small change in a paragraph-long sentence will be
   recorded as a change in a really big block, all of which is kinda annoying.

which results in a good looking bulleted list. I hope that answers
your question.

Kristian