Re: FEniCS Documentation -- PyDOLFIN doc-strings

On Sunday July 25 2010 13:25:25 Kristian Ølgaard wrote:
> On 25 July 2010 20:29, Johan Hake <johan.hake@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> >> This approach is getting more and more complicated; it turns out we
> >> also need to generate all the
> >> _post.i files to get the docstrings correct.
> >
> > Do yo meen the extended python functions that resides in these files?
>
> Yes, they will need a docstring too. But since Swig doesn't mess with
> these particular (member-) functions, it is actually possible to
> assign to __doc__ dynamically (on import) so maybe that would be an
> easier option.

How would you do that? I tried

%extend dolfin::GenericVector
{
  %pythoncode
  %{
    def data(self):
        generated_docstring_module.GenericVector.data.__doc__
        return self._data()
  %}
}

But it was only possible to have a "real" string, not a variable that was a
str. Not sure why...

> >> At this point it seems a
> >> lot easier to me to simply extend the Python layer with everything we
> >> want to have detailed documentation for and distribute the
> >> dolfindocstrings module with DOLFIN so we can do:
> >>
> >> class VariationalProblem(...):
> >>    __doc__ generated_docstring_module.VariationalProblem.__doc__
> >>
> >> this way we handle the docstrings in a uniform way, else we need to
> >> generate docstrings.i for some functions, *_post.i files for other
> >> functions and STILL do the assign to __doc__ trick.
> >>
> >> For functions that we don't extend in the Python layer we still have
> >> the oneliner docs from the header files extended with some random
> >> output from Swig.
> >
> > How do we handle the documentation of the pure cpp classes, for example
> > cpp.Mesh?
>
> For all functions/classes we put a docstring in the docstringsmodule
> and distribute this module with DOLFIN.

Ok

> The current approach that we're pursuing is:
> For the classes in cpp, we generate the docstrings.i,
> For add on functions in *_post.i we need to either generate *_post.i
> or assign to __doc__ of those particular functions on import.
> For classes functions in the Python layer we just assign to __doc__ in
> the definition of classes/functions.

Ok

> or as I suggested:
>
> Extend the Python layer with whatever classes/functions that we want
> to have documented in detail and assign to __doc__ in the definitions.

Ok

Johan