Re: Function order in programmer docs

On 30 August 2010 15:18, Anders Logg <logg@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 30, 2010 at 02:14:27PM +0100, Garth N. Wells wrote:
>> Is it deliberate that the function order in the programmer docs
>> differs from the order in which functions are declared in the .h
>> files?
>>
>> Garth
>
> Yes. It's alphabetical in the documentation. It can easily be turned
> off, just need to comment out the line that calls sort().
>
> Any opinions on the order of functions? Alphabetical or as in the
> code?

I think it is easier to find a function if they are listed
alphabetically. The Python autodoc will sort the functions
automatically, I don't know if it can be switched off. This is the
reason I started sorting the C++ functions too, to have similar
looking docs.

> Another thing to discuss is the style of documentation. Mesh.h
> currently does
>
>  /// Get cell connectivity.
>  ///
>  /// *Returns*
>  ///     An array of integers
>  ///         Connectivity for all cells.
>  ///
>
> Note punctuation on the first line. This is different from what we've
> done before.

I think comments in code should use punctuation like normal text, only
section headings like *Returns* should be without punctuation.

Kristian