Re: change in web address

On Sun, Oct 03, 2010 at 10:24:07AM +0200, Harish Narayanan wrote:
> On 10/1/10 12:54 AM, Anders Logg wrote:

> >> A redirect from fenics.org --> fenicsproject.org will be implemented
> >> later today.
> >>
> >> Too bad we couldn't keep our own address, especially since it has been
> >> used for a long time and appears in many journal papers and links.
> >>
> >> But I think we will be happy at our new home fenicsproject.org.
> >
> > The redirect is now in place. Please help me check that everything
> > works as expected.
> >
> > Everyone needs to help out with updating all incoming links so that we
> > can maintain a good ranking with search engines.
>
> I am not sure the current approach is the best way of doing this. I
> suggest the following instead.
>
> 1. Create a .htaccess file in the root of the old domain that looks like
> the following:
>
> Options +FollowSymLinks
> RewriteEngine on
> RewriteRule (.*) http://www.fenicsproject.org/$1 [R=301,L]
>
> which redirects every old link to the corresponding new one. This way
> the old slepc download link, for example, should not break.
>
> 2. Add a conditional check to the php of the Wiki in the new domain to
> check if a person is redirecting from www.fenics.org, and if so, present
> a small message on top to update their links along with serving regular
> content.
>
> I will try this if there are no objections. 301 redirects will tell
> search engines things have permanently been moved, and that should help
> with maintaining good ranking. (The current redirect page will hurt
> things considerably.)
>
> Harish

I thought about this, but thought it was important to have a very
visible message that the page has moved.

But now that I think of it, we can redirect to fenicsproject.org and
put the message there.

Please go ahead and see if you can implement the redirect.

Here is what I've implemented now:

rewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !(/move\.html) [NC]
rewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !(/move\.png) [NC]
rewriteRule ^(.*)$ http://www.fenics.org/move.html [R=301,L]

There is a 301 thing in there but I don't know if it does any good.