Re: Copyright consent forms

On 1/28/11 2:47 PM, Harish Narayanan wrote:
> On 1/28/11 1:37 PM, Anders Logg wrote:
>> On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 10:03:15PM +0100, Anders Logg wrote:
>>> I've prepared drafts of the copyright consent forms:
>>>
>>> http://www.fenicsproject.org/pub/copyright/forms/
>>>
>>> Take a look and let the list know if you have any comments.
>>> If we find that the documents look ok, we can start sending out
>>> requests for signed consent forms.
>>
>> I haven't heard any objections to the design of the consent forms so I
>> assume everyone's onboard. I will start sending out requests for forms
>> shortly.
>
> The documents seem reasonable, except that I have one concern over the
> (broad) scope. What if a contributor is OK with LGPL for some FEniCS
> components, but doesn't see the purpose (or is not happy with, for
> whatever reason) for other components.
>
> I understand the rationale behind LGPL for core components (DOFIN, FFC
> etc.) but not, for e.g., FEniCS Apps.

I am going to further my query. Probably convoluted, but here it goes:

What constitutes a FEniCS app? Is it any application written based on
components of the FEniCS project? Is it an application that gets listed
on the FEniCS web site? And if one is going to force the license of the
app, does that not defeat the purpose of LGPL'ing core FEniCS components[1]?

Harish

[1] Which I am guessing would be to allow for proprietary apps to be
written using an LGPL FEniCS.