Re: Request for copyright consent forms

On Wed, Feb 09, 2011 at 09:52:21AM -0800, Johan Hake wrote:
> Hello!
>
> UCSD is not willing to sign the consent statement about GPL 3...
>
> From the answer I got:
>
>   LGPL incorporates GPL 3, and that is the problem. Earlier versions of the
>   GPL did not deal in patent rights, while Version 3 does. It would commit a
>   license to the entire UC patent estate, whether the inventors were an
>   informed participant or not. I would need to consult further with UC General
>   Counsel for a detailed answer, but the spirit is that the license
>   overreaches in its commitments to patent rights beyond what the university
>   is willing to do.

That seems strange. So UCSD will want to retain the right to sue users
of DOLFIN if you should happen to add code to DOLFIN that infringes on
some patent held by UCSD?

> Are there any others that have got a similare answer?

No problems so far. Here's what we have so far:

  http://www.fenicsproject.org/pub/copyright/authors/
  http://www.fenicsproject.org/pub/copyright/institutions/