Re: FEniCS releases and appointing a release manager

On 02/20/2013 09:16 PM, Johan Hake wrote:
On 02/20/2013 08:59 PM, Anders Logg wrote:
On Wed, Feb 20, 2013 at 03:00:00PM +0000, Garth N. Wells wrote:
Hi,

I would like to follow-up on previous discussions in other fora
regarding FEniCS releases: we would like to make releases more often,
how do we ensure that that actually happens?

In order to make it happen, I suggest we appoint a permanent[1]
release manager who is responsible for initiating releases at a
suitable, pre-defined frequency, and for driving the release process
in accordance with the development model[2]. A frequency of
approximately once every three months has been mentioned before, but
this can of course be discussed further.

Moreover, I've talked to Johannes about this -- and he is willing to
and interested in doing this job :-) Frequent releases would ensure
that the release scripts are up to date and Johannes (and others) have
indicated that most of the button-clicking on Launchpad indeed can be
scripted via the Launchpad API.

Sidenote: I think that this is a good way to go regardless of whether
the FEniCS components are kept as is or if we decide to go for a more
unified approach (UFR).

Comments/Objections/All in favor?

Sounds good.
Yes.
Sounds very good!

That sounded like a unanimous "all in favor" -- great, then that's decided. I'll follow up with Johannes.

--
Marie

Johan

Garth

Thanks,
  Marie

[1] Meaning: until further notice
[2] in particular, steps 3.-7. listed here
http://fenicsproject.org/contributing/development_model.html)