Re: Project changes: moving from Launchpad

On Tue, Mar 19, 2013 at 11:46:35AM +0000, Garth N. Wells wrote:
>     I tried Google groups as an alternativ to setting up a mailman list
>     on
>     [1]fenicsproject.org (which required some non-trivial
>     configuration):
>     [2]https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups=#!forum/fenics-dev
>     Would that be a good alternative, or does it require everyone who
>     wants to post to register for a Google email account?
>   It would be nice if we don't have to maintain a mailing list ourselves.
>   Garth

I see a couple of advantages of having a mailing list hosted on fenicsproject.org:

- Not requiring users to create a Google account (assuming that is necessary)

- A more appealing addres: fenics-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

The difficulty is not in setting up mailman itself, which is very
basic, but in getting the infrastructure for sending/receiving emails
on the server in place (using postfix). This is something we need to
do anyway, to get emails when things fail, break-in attempts etc.

I'll make an attempt to get the mail server in place, then we can try
out the mailman list and evaluate whether to use that or Google
groups.