Re: How do we do bugfix backporting now?

On Wed, Apr 10, 2013 at 02:55:13PM +0200, Martin Sandve Alnæs wrote:
> I've just pushed a critical bugfix to ufl on bitbucket, which should
> be backported (cherry-picked) to 1.2. What's the procedure for this
> now? Do we apply patches to the old lp series? Is there a 1.2 git
> branch I can cherry-pick directly to?

There's no such branch. But if we decide to follow the gitflow model,
we should create a new branch called 'develop' inside the ufl
repository (the branch 'master' already exists).

All releases should be made from the 'master' branch and all
development in the 'develop' branch. Before each release, one branches
off 'develop' via a release branch and then into 'master'. Then after
the release, the release branch gets removed.

What is needed for a fix like this is to make a temporary 'hotfix'
branch off 'master'. So my suggestion would be to

1. Create the 'develop' branch (from 'master')

2. Create a branch 'hotfix-1.2.1' from master

3. Fix the bug there (cherry pick from 'develop')

4. Merge the fix into 'develop' and 'master'

5. Remove the hotfix branch

Steps 3-4 will be a bit different since you already made the fix in
'master'.