Re: Development model

On 04/15/2013 02:47 PM, Anders Logg wrote:
On Mon, Apr 15, 2013 at 02:43:14PM +0200, Marie E. Rognes wrote:
On 04/15/2013 02:37 PM, Anders Logg wrote:
I suggest we adopt the "gitworkflows" development model as described here:

   https://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/gitworkflows.html

(Can also be read by the command 'man 7 gitworkflows'.)

In more detail, I suggest we

- create 'maint', 'master', 'next' branches in the official repository

- skip the 'pu' branch for now

- publish topic branches in personal repositories

- follow the "gitworkflows" model otherwise

Core developers should read up on the description of gitworkflows and
comment. Any objections to adopting this model?

The main motivation is that this is a standard model used by many
other projects, including our PETSc friends who can share their
experience and give us pointers when we stumble.
So, you are referring to the PETSc model as described here:

   https://bitbucket.org/petsc/petsc/wiki/developer-instructions-git
   https://bitbucket.org/petsc/petsc/wiki/quick-dev-git

as suggested earlier by Garth? Sounds good to me.
No, I'm referring to

   https://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/gitworkflows.html

minus the 'pu' branch.

Are there any crucial differences? As far as I can see, the PETSc wiki provides a bit more detail (very useful for those of us new to git) and specific naming suggestions.

--
Marie