Protect the ASE import

       Alright, I think it should finally work. As to the
second question, the situation is different here. You do not
need DOLFIN or LaTeX installed to generate them because you
are using a certain text generation technology. The ASE format
is using another "generation" technology, namely ASTs instead
of text. It could equally well generate C code for DOLFIN.

   Hope that is clearer,

        Matt

There are still problems if I import the ase module:

  File "../ffc/compiler/compiler.py", line 23, in ?
    from ffc.format import ase
  File "../ffc/format/ase.py", line 43, in ?
    format = { "sum": sum,
AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'getVar'

I'll keep the import under the if-case in compiler.py until we know
how to do this.

What things from ASE are you using in ase.py? It should be possible to
compile without having access to the system you are compiling for (you
don't need to have DOLFIN or LaTeX installed to use -dolfin or -latex).

(As a side note, I should change -c++ to -dolfin.)

/Anders

--
"Failure has a thousand explanations. Success doesn't need one" -- Sir Alec Guiness

Follow ups