Re: Mesh

Anders Logg <logg@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Yes, the intention is that we should look closely at Matt's new mesh
> component and if possible completely throw out all our mesh stuff and
> wrap the new mesh component in DOLFIN.
>
> When you're ready Matt, pick a name (Sieve?) and put it on fenics.org.

  There will be two names: Sieve for a thing which encodes topology, and
SievedArray for a thing which stores data in a hierarchical format consistent
with a certain topology. The idea here being that a SievedArray can both

  1) Present data in a contiguous parallel format like a PETSc Vec

and

  2) Restrict that data to coverings of the original topology (like a
     single element), and then reassemble

> My only worries is that (i) the new mesh component will be not be
> limited enough in its scope and force us to throw out more than just
> the mesh component and (ii) it will be impossible to install... ;-)

  I will try and address these:

  1) I am fairly confident that we are alright here. This is ONLY intended
     to make the program understand topology and data organized around it.
     It should slot in just below normal linear algebra for storage, and
     should provide the necessary information to organize a) parallel
     assembly and b) finite element assembly.

  2) Since it is implemented entirely in C++ with STL as a first pass, our
     idea was for you just to use the C++, which is a bunch of self-contained
     files. The build should be easy. I have a bunch of interop stuff on top
     to make it do Python, but you don't need this.

     Matt

--
"Failure has a thousand explanations. Success doesn't need one" -- Sir Alec Guiness