Re: nodemap -> dofmap

Anders Logg wrote:
On Mon, Dec 04, 2006 at 06:03:41PM +0100, Garth N. Wells wrote:

Anders Logg wrote:
I think of a node as a member of the dual basis for P in the
definition of a finite element in Brenner-Scott. A node in FFC is
always associated with an entity, like the second node of entity 0 of
an entity of dimension 1 (the second node on the first edge).

So I would very much like to keep the name "node".

OK, but this does clash with accepted terminology. In both Brenner & Scott and Ciarlet, nodes are defined as points.

Yes, when I look again, they do use "node" for a point, but also refer
to "nodal variables" as the name of the linear functional you evaluate
to get the "nodal value".

Sure, this is normal FE terminology - nodal variables for the degrees of freedom at a node. Also, "nodal value" in general case should be "nodal values" :).

Garth

See also

    http://www.fenics.org/hg/ufc?f=1e97408cde10;file=src/ufc/ufc.h

where we have

    tabulate_nodes()
    evaluate_node()

This is partly why I made the suggestions. I saw this terminology in some code from Martin. "nodes" gives the impression of points.

ok. More opinions?

/Anders

Garth

But we could discuss what to call it. Other opinions?

/Anders