Re: [DOLFIN-dev] functions

Martin Sandve Alnæs wrote:
2007/4/12, Garth N. Wells <g.n.wells@xxxxxxxxxx>:

Anders Logg wrote:
On Wed, Apr 11, 2007 at 06:15:30PM +0200, Garth N. Wells wrote:
Anders Logg wrote:
On Tue, Apr 10, 2007 at 06:14:12PM +0200, Garth N. Wells wrote:
Connected to Kristian's work on quadrature in FFC, we should think about
how to work with functions which do not come from a finite element
space. Such functions (like stress for a plasticity model or viscosity
for a non-Newtonian flow) are evaluated at quadrature points, rather
than at nodes.

Garth
The current design (including UFC) assumes that all functions can be
interpolated to a finite element basis, but I think it will work for
the quadrature code generation to imagine that you have a finite
element basis where the quadrature points are the same as the nodes.
(But you never need to know the basis functions.)

The array of coefficients (double** w) that comes in to the function
tabulate_tensor() should contain the coefficients, but for the
quadrature these will be the same as the values at the quadrature
points, and this should work out fine since the values that go in to w
are decided by the evaluate_dof() function that also gets
generated.

So the quadrature code generator just needs to make sure that
evaluate_dof() picks the values at the quadrature points.

The problem with this approach is that it's not possible to create a
consistent linearisation when dofs and integration points do not
coincide. Kristian and I went through this in detail a while ago.

Garth
Yes, I remember, but my suggestion was that the dofs and the points
should coincide. Then the linearization should be ok?

I don't see how this can work. The locations of the dofs and the Gauss
quadrature points do not in general coincide.

The idea is to construct an "artificial finite element" where the dofs
_are_ values in the Gauss quadrature points. By generating a
corresponding implementation of ufc::finite_element where
evaluate_dof(i, f, ...) evaluates the function f in dof (quadpoint) i,
and local_dimension() returns the number of quadrature points, this
should work.

Isn't this getting overly-complicated? It would also be necessary to evaluate the functions and derivatives of functions on the "real" element at the dofs of the artificial element (to compute a stress update in a plasticity problem, for example).

Garth

Some functions like evaluate_basis can have empty implementations,
perhaps raising an exception, if no sensible implementation is
possible.

martin

Dr. Garth N. Wells
Faculty of Civil Engineering and Geosciences
Delft University of Technology
Stevinweg 1
2628 CN Delft
Netherlands