Re: DG lifting operator

Anders Logg wrote:
On Thu, Jan 10, 2008 at 09:29:56AM -0500, Jake Ostien wrote:
Hi,

I'd like to write a form based on the lifting operator. If the lifting operator (R) is defined as

    -\int_Gamma avg(A):jump(B) dS = \int_Omega A:R(B) dV

Is there any way I can define a form such as

    \int_Omega R(A):R(B) dV

Where e.g. A and B are BasisFunctions?

I can do this already for a known Function, say H, where I say

    V = TestFunction
    U = TrialFunction

    H = Function

    a = dot(V,U)*dx
    L = dot(avg(V),jump(H))*dS

Then U is the lifted H, projected onto the basis of V.

Should this same approach work for BasisFunctions?

Jake

I don't understand what you want to do. The only way I see to compute
a projection (or lifting) is to define a bilinear form and linear form
as you do and solve a linear system.

Yes, I see. Here's the problem. The lifting operator formulation looks like
   \int_Omega R(V):R(H) dV

For the R(V) term, I can lift the BasisFunction V and project it to get a DiscreteFunction in DOLFIN, but then when I pass in those coefficients as arguments to the lifting operator form, how can I tell FFC that those coefficients are for the TestFunction? If I could do this then I could just do the projections as a separate step and use the results.

Jake