Re: quadrature optimisations

On Mon, Apr 28, 2008 at 08:25:53PM +0200, Kristian Oelgaard wrote:

> # 2D plasticity, cases
> 1) 1st order elements, mesh(1000, 1000)
> 2) 2nd order elements, mesh(500, 500)
> 3) 3rd order elements, mesh(250, 250)
> 4) 4th order elements*, mesh(125, 125)
>
> *Note that because the bilinear form in this case is a 9th order form we take
> the number of quadrature points equal to 5 when declaring the quadrature element.

Another optimization would be to reduce the number of quadrature
points. If your method is order p, then you only need to integrate the
form with quadrature exact for degree p polynomials. So in particular,
you don't necessarily need many quadrature points just because the
integrand has many factors.

A related optimization can be done for tensor representation by
projecting coefficients to a lower order space (like piecewise
constants).

--
Anders