Re: [DOLFIN-dev] [HG DOLFIN] Make Mixed FunctionSpace access more consistant.

On Sunday 18 October 2009 18:21:23 Garth N. Wells wrote:
> Johan Hake wrote:

> >> I've had a look, and while I don't yet follow where UFL defines its
> >> signatures,
> >
> >   repr(ulf_object)
> >
> > returns the uniqe signature of an ufl_object.
> >
> >> things are dangerous because FFC formats its own signature
> >> strings, see line 227 of
> >>
> >>      ffc/ffc/fem/finiteelement.py
> >
> > Yes, this is dangerous, at least if we want to use them as we do in
> > PyDOLFIN. However taking repr of the corresponding ufl object is a well
> > defined method that ufl use internally, when for example creating a
> > unique string representation of a form.
> >
> >> We stopped using signature strings in DOLFIN because it gave us all
> >> sorts of problems. Is it desirable to have PyDOLFIN depend on the
> >> generated strings? Can it be avoided?
> >
> > It is a very nice way of constructing an ufl object when we have the
> > compiled version. As the convention of repr(object) is that:
> >
> >   new_object = eval(repr(object))
> >
> > should return a new object of the same kind.
> >
> > So when we have a SubSpace with its compiled FiniteElement, it is easy to
> > just call its signature method of its element to generate the
> > corresponding ufl element, which is used to construct a full fledged
> > dolfin.FunctionSpace.
> >
> > Not sure how this could be done another way.
>
> Can't we get the sub-element from the original UFL function?

Not when we return a SubSpace which is a compiled C++ structure. To be able to
construct the ufl.FiniteElement (done in the class FunctionSpaceFromCpp in
functionspace.py) we use the signature of the cpp.FiniteElement.

> If I do
>
>     (u0, u1) = pde.solve().split()
>
> are u0 and u1 UFL Functions, or just cpp Functions?

They should be both. Their FunctionSpaces (self._V) are constructed using the
the FunctionSpace.sub(i) (operator[]) method, which returns the compiled
SubSpace I am talking about above.

> > Isn't it possible to use what repr(ufl_element) returns to define the
> > signature of an element or isn't the ufl_element available in
> > ffc.FiniteElement?
>
> Yes. I committed this change to FFC a short while ago.

Ok!

Johan