Re: Redesign

Anders Logg wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 06:54:54PM +0000, Garth N. Wells wrote:
>>
>> Anders Logg wrote:
>>> Marie and I have had some discussions on the redesign and FFC and
>>> here's what came out:
>>>
>>>   https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ffc/+spec/ffc-redesign
>>>
>>> This allows us to remove both FiniteElement and DofMap since we won't
>>> be needing any of those in the code generation stage.
>>>
>> And where does the transition to the new FIAT fit in?
>
> It's quite orthogonal to that. We just need to make sure that we use
> the new FIAT interface in stage 2.
>
> Note that with this new design (which is really just a stricter
> and cleaner version of what I originally intended) FIAT will only be
> called in stage 2 which will make things easier.
>
> I will start on changing things from the top and down, starting with
> cleanups in compiler.py and then we can go from there.

I am completely confused by the strategy. We discussed moving the work
on the FIAT transition to lp:~ffc-core/ffc/dev, but now FiniteElement
has been removed and the message says that everything is broken. We to
have several things going on at once, none of which are working. Would
it be more sensible to make one thing at a time work? There seems to be
no clear plan.

Garth