Re: [Branch ~ffc-core/ffc/dev] Rev 1443: Remove \n in formats

On Wed, Jan 13, 2010 at 06:39:56PM +0100, Marie Rognes wrote:
> noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> >revno: 1443
> >committer: Anders Logg <logg@xxxxxxxxx>
> >branch nick: ffc-dev
> >timestamp: Wed 2010-01-13 17:00:13 +0100
> >message:
> >  Remove \n in formats
> >modified:
> >  ffc/cpp.py
> >

> I like the \n in formats. Makes more sense to me to have a line break
> after for instance "each assignment" than explicitly stating breaks
> in the code generation functions.

I agree, but it becomes problematic in some cases. For example when we
insert things into the UFC format strings in the formatting stage:

  /// Return the dimension of the finite element function space
  virtual unsigned int space_dimension() const
  {
%(space_dimension)s
  }

Then we get things like

  virtual unsigned int space_dimension() const
  {
    return 3;

  }

It's better with \n since \n can easily be added where needed but not
(so) easily removed where not needed.

--
Anders