which function space

hi all of you,

in dolfin0.9.6 i'm having a hard time with the following problem:

i'm solving for a variable viscosity, depending on the power x of the strain-rate tensor's 2nd invariant.

the invariant i compute in a separate form, and then i compute the power by iterating through all the dofs, extracting/reinserting the values in the vector of the function inside the code.

this was all fine for dolfin < 0.9.6 but now i think i have a problem with choosing the right function space for the viscosity coefficient in my nonlinear problem, since for those i used before (Quadrature, DG) i have serious problem which i do not understand (they all worked before dolfin0.9.6)

my problem is a mixed problem with space definitions:
#--------------------------------------
velocity = VectorElement("CG" , geom, 2)
pressure = FiniteElement("CG" , geom, 1)
ME = MixedElement(velocity, pressure)

# viscosity element
visc = FiniteElement("DG", geom, 2)

# placeholder variable viscosity
eta = Coefficient(qe)

using this has worked well before, but i don't follow why it shouldn't work in dolfin0.9.6/ffc0.9. Or else somebody can propose me another approach.

regards,
patrick

Follow ups