Re: Fwd: Re: function on EnrichedElement

On 18. juni 2010 15:08, Kristian Oelgaard wrote:
> [...]
>> vector elements must of course be identical but I guess that will
>> always be the case, otherwise we throw an error.
>>

>> I will go for this option. This allows us to have simpler code and
>> preserves accessing to the sub-elements of enriched mixed element.
>>

>> How do you plan on handling elements such as the following (relevant in
>> connection with the PEERS element for linear elasticity) with this approach?
>>
>> V = FiniteElement("RT", "triangle", 1)
>> Q = VectorElement("B", "triangle", 3)
>> W = V + Q
>>

>> I was planning on throwing an error :)
>>

>> Please don't :)
>>

>> I did not know that one would ever want to enrich a scalar element
>> with a vector bubble function,
>>

>> Since RT is a vector-valued element, enriching it with a vector bubble
>> function
>> is well-defined.
>>

>> Ha, I completely missed the 'RT', that's what you get for working with
>> 'CG' only :)
>> Now it makes a lot more sense to me.
>>

>> Ok :)
>>

>> Strictly speaking, my example is not the enrichment of one UFL VectorElement
>> with another VectorElement. So, I guess you could overload + for
>> VectorElement (and TensorElement) only. However, that would make
>>

>> Yes, that's what we had in mind, then instead of an error we just
>> return an EnrichedElement, then it's up to the user to make sure that
>> the enrichment makes sense. I haven't looked at the code in detail
>> now, but maybe there are other things we need to check for.
>>

>>    V = FiniteElement("CG", "triangle", 1)
>>    V = V*V
>>    B = VectorElement("B", "triangle", 3)
>>    W = V + B
>>
>> and
>>
>>    V2 = VectorElement("CG", "triangle", 1)
>>    W = V2 + B
>>
>> behave differently, which I imagine could be rather confusing.
>>

>> They do?
>>

>> Assumption A: If you only overload + for VectorElement and TensorElement.
>>
>> Under A, yes.
>>

>> I think if we want to overload +, by default we should treat these two
>> cases equally.
>>

>> Well, I never intended to overload '+' for just Vector and Tensor elements,
>> I would overload the MixedElement class which is the base class for
>> the two special types.
>> Then the two cases will result in the same element, we should of
>> course check for equal length of the two mixed elements, and in case
>> of nested mixed elements, we let the '+' operator handle this on the
>> sub elements.
>>

>> Ok, then what will be the effect for a mixed/vector version of my previous
>> example? (which is even more relevant for the PEERS element ;) )
>>
>> V = FiniteElement("RT", "triangle", 1)
>> V = V * V
>> Q = VectorElement("B", "triangle", 3, 4)
>>
>> W = V + Q
>>
> This will (and should) crash for sure, len(V) = 2, len(Q) = 4; so it
> makes no sense to enrich the sub elements.

This will not (and I think should not) crash at the moment: both V and Q
has rank dimension 4, and so enrichment makes sense.

However, if you try to progagate the enrichment to sub-elements, you
will run into trouble.
Hence, I assume that you will either throw an error (which I would not
like, since the construction is not erranous) or return just the
original EnrichedElement.

>> The above W will then be an EnrichedElement of vector-valued elements?
>>
>> V = FiniteElement("RT", "triangle", 1)
>> V = V * V
>> Q = VectorElement("B", "triangle", 3)
>> Q = Q * Q
>>
>> W = V + Q
>>
> V0 = FiniteElement("RT", "triangle", 1)
> V = V0 * V0
> Q0 = VectorElement("B", "triangle", 3)
> Q = Q0 * Q0
> W = V + Q
>
> This is will end up as:
>
> E0 = V0 + Q0 # EnrichedElement([V0, Q0])
> W = MixedElement( [E0,  E0] )
>
> and the example we had before:
>
> V0 = FiniteElement("CG", "triangle", 1)
> V = V0 * V0
> B0 = FiniteElement("B", "triangle", 3)
> B  = B0 * B0
> W = V + B
>
> will be:
> E0 = V0 + B0
> W = MixedElement([E0, E0])

Agree.

>> While this will be a MixedElement of vector-valued Enriched elements?
>>
>> My main interest is just to keep the + operator "predictable".
>>
> That looks pretty predictable to me, but there might be other elements
> that I'm unaware of for which the logic breaks.

In the vector RT/B example above, the first version becomes an
EnrichedElement while the second becomes a MixedElement. I don't find
that transparent.

I would really prefer to have the conversion from enriched to mixed be
explicit. But I'll stop arguing now ;)

--
Marie