Re: Fwd: Re: function on EnrichedElement

On 18 June 2010 15:25, Mehdi <m.nikbakht@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> [...]
>> >

>> >    V = FiniteElement("CG", "triangle", 1)
>> >    V = V*V
>> >    B = VectorElement("B", "triangle", 3)
>> >    W = V + B
>> >
>> > and
>> >
>> >    V2 = VectorElement("CG", "triangle", 1)
>> >    W = V2 + B
>> >
>> > behave differently, which I imagine could be rather confusing.
>> >

>> > They do?
>> >

>> > Assumption A: If you only overload + for VectorElement and TensorElement.
>> >
>> > Under A, yes.
>> >

>> > I think if we want to overload +, by default we should treat these two
>> > cases equally.
>> >

>> > Well, I never intended to overload '+' for just Vector and Tensor elements,
>> > I would overload the MixedElement class which is the base class for
>> > the two special types.
>> > Then the two cases will result in the same element, we should of
>> > course check for equal length of the two mixed elements, and in case
>> > of nested mixed elements, we let the '+' operator handle this on the
>> > sub elements.
>> >

>> > Ok, then what will be the effect for a mixed/vector version of my previous
>> > example? (which is even more relevant for the PEERS element ;) )
>> >
>> > V = FiniteElement("RT", "triangle", 1)
>> > V = V * V
>> > Q = VectorElement("B", "triangle", 3, 4)
>> >
>> > W = V + Q
>>
>> This will (and should) crash for sure, len(V) = 2, len(Q) = 4; so it
>> makes no sense to enrich the sub elements.
>>
>> > The above W will then be an EnrichedElement of vector-valued elements?
>> >
>> > V = FiniteElement("RT", "triangle", 1)
>> > V = V * V
>> > Q = VectorElement("B", "triangle", 3)
>> > Q = Q * Q
>> >
>> > W = V + Q
>>
>> V0 = FiniteElement("RT", "triangle", 1)
>> V = V0 * V0
>> Q0 = VectorElement("B", "triangle", 3)
>> Q = Q0 * Q0
>> W = V + Q
>>
>> This is will end up as:
>>
>> E0 = V0 + Q0 # EnrichedElement([V0, Q0])
>> W = MixedElement( [E0,  E0] )
>>
>> and the example we had before:
>>
>> V0 = FiniteElement("CG", "triangle", 1)
>> V = V0 * V0
>> B0 = FiniteElement("B", "triangle", 3)
>> B  = B0 * B0
>> W = V + B
>>
>> will be:
>> E0 = V0 + B0
>> W = MixedElement([E0, E0])
>>
>> > While this will be a MixedElement of vector-valued Enriched elements?
>> >
>> > My main interest is just to keep the + operator "predictable".
>>
>> That looks pretty predictable to me, but there might be other elements
>> that I'm unaware of for which the logic breaks.
>
> If we want to address this issue, the same concept should be also
> considered for ElementRestriction. What would we expect if we enrich a
> vector element with a restricted vector element?
>
>  V = VectorElement("CG", "triangle", 1)
>  B = ElementRestriction(V, dc)
>
>  W = V + B
>
> Since this restricted element is not vector element anymore.

Can't we just check, inside the '+' operator, if an element is an
ElementRestriction and then if the restricted element is a
VectorElement
BTW, shouldn't it be RestrictedElement (like EnrichedElement) rather
than ElementRestriction?

Another possibility is to propagate the restriction to the subelements
when creating the restricted element and then return a VectorElement
with restricted sub elements. Did we try that and fail at some point?
I forgot.

Kristian