Re: Speeding up form compilation

On 8 December 2011 10:58, Harish Narayanan <harish.mlists@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 12/8/11 10:53 AM, Anders Logg wrote:
>> On Thu, Dec 08, 2011 at 10:46:20AM +0100, Harish Narayanan wrote:
>>> Dear all,
>>>
>>> I am trying to run some problems which involve somewhat complex
>>> variational forms which FFC takes ages (O(1 day)) to compile. Is there
>>> any clear documentation on the strategies one should apply to speed
>>> things up in general? I am interested both in appropriate FFC parameters
>>> and tips on how to split a form into pieces so that I don't end up
>>> recompiling everything every time I make small changes.
>>
>> Did you try setting the number of quadrature points? FFC is likely
>> using quite a few points to integrate your form and it's probably
>> overkill.
>
> Is that quadrature_order or quadrature_degree? I have unsystematically
> tried a few things which haven't been successful, so I thought I would
> ask for documentation.

quadrature_degree

see 'man ffc'

There is no documentation on which strategies to use wrt splitting up
forms, and I don't really have any good advice from the top of my
head.
(I assume you use PyDOLFIN)

Using no optimisation for the FFC compiler will obviously result in
the fastest compile time.

Kristian