firmware-testing-team team mailing list archive

Introducing 0.15.3 and move to Maverick builds

Hi,

Over the past week I've added a few more tests to the firmware test
suite (fwts) and fixed a few outstanding bugs with version 0.15.3.

== New Tests ==

thermal_trip:
        Check Thermal Zone trip mechanism.  I've not been able to fully
        test this as most of my machines have partially implemented or
        non-existing Thermal Zone trip points, so I'm interested to see
        how well this works on older and newer hardware.

cpufreq:
        Check P-states across all CPUs.  This test will take a while to
        run as it loads each CPU to examine the P states.

bios_info:
        Gather BIOS version information.

== Other changes ==

hibernate:
        Fixed S4 failure detection, extra hibernation failure advice,
        check for hibernation phases.

lid:
        Detect GPE activity on lid events. Also added a multiple
        lid/close test as this catches one recent bug we've seen on a
        new platform.

maxfreq:
        Check CPU frequencies against max frequencies listed by BIOS
        (this catches known bugs in Atom based machines).

WMI:
        Only dump driver writing advice text out once per test. Keeps
        the noise down.

ACPI tables:
        Extract ACPI tables without the need for acpidump

== Move to Maverick ==

I'm now building just Maverick debs for the code, so make sure you alter
your sources.list for the PPA and update it to use maverick rather than
lucid.  Lucid systems can still download from this even though it's
building for Maverick.

== Poll ==

I'm still not fully convinced I've got the usage model correct. The fwts
runs in two modes, one a batch mode (that runs non-interactive tests)
and interactive mode (requiring user attention).

I've configured the tool to run in batch mode by default. By specifying
--interactive (or -i) it just runs interactive tests, and to get both
one uses --interactive (-i) and --batch (-b).  Perhaps the tool should
by default run all tests and one specifies interactive or batch as a
preferred choice.  I would appreciate your feedback to know the best way
to configure the default.

Colin