firmware-testing-team team mailing list archive

fwts V0.17.9, bug fixes, s3/s4 test defaults and USB key image

Hi all,

Some minor changes since my last email:

== Changes ==

Version: 0.17.9
   fix man page, include new options

Version 0.17.8
   POWER_STATES bit mask set correctly (does not affect functionality)

Version 0.17.7
   Run tests suitable to each specific architecture
   --all option

Version 0.17.6
   --P, --power-states options for S3, S4 tests

Version 0.17.5
   pciutils + dmidecode builddepends

Version 0.17.4
   better AML parsing for hpet_check test
   nx test: print out model number as integer, not as string (fixes
segfault)

Version 0.17.3
   fix typos in man page

== New Options ==

So after some deliberation I decided that the S3 and S4 tests should not
run as default as they are the most disruptive tests and can hang a
machine if the BIOS is really not working well. Instead, I've created a
new category of power states tests for tests like S3 and S4. So, to
invoke the S3 and S4 (suspend/resume hibernate/resume) tests use:

sudo fwts --power-states
or
sudo fwts -P

or alternatively run them as:

sudo fwts s3 s4

My intention is to probably expand the --power-states tests, hence the
new category, and it conveniently removes these tests from the default
--batch tests.

I've also added the --all option which will run ALL the tests, --batch,
--interactive, --batch-experimental, --interactive--experimental and
--power-states.

== USB key images ==

Finally, this week we've added a USB key image that runs fwts to the
kernel team test images. You can download the i386 and/or amd64 images
from:

http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/testing/maverick-desktop-i386-fwts.img
http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/testing/maverick-desktop-amd64-fwts.img

The concept is that you can boot the latest kernel + fwts image from a
USB key and run the tests without needing to install Maverick.

Instructions:

1. Download the appropriate image
2. dd it onto a USB stick (1 GB minimum size)
3. boot with the image
4. it will boot the latest daily build + latest fwts (from the fwts PPA)
and automatically run the batch tests and then shutdown
5. remove USB key, insert into another machine
6. results.log for that test can be found in directory
fwts/ddmmyyyy/hhmm/results.log where:
   ddmmyyyy is date (day, month, year)
   hhmm     is time (hour, min)

Note that the results are saved onto a FAT partition, so this is helpful
for ODMs who may want to use this tool and only have Windows machines.

I'd like to thank Brad Figg for his help help to get this automated.

Feedback as ever always is appreciated!

Colin