firmware-testing-team team mailing list archive

Firmware Test Suite V0.21.04 and PPA changes.

Hi all,

== New Features ==

Another week, and another new feature.  Over the past few weeks fwts has
been used heavily for S4 soak testing on various systems and I've
observed that the tool isn't picking up any misbehaving drivers that may
be oopsing over S4 cycles.  So I've added an oops detection for S3 and
S4 tests ensure sure suspend and hibernate work reliably in terms of
functionality and also in driver reliability.

I've also made the oops detection a standalone test too, so we can pick
up any oopses in the generic test case. This is not strictly inside the
fwts remit since it's not a firmware test, but I think it's helpful
addition test to save one manually eye-balling the kernel logs for oops
messages.

To run and get results to stdout, use:

fwts oops -

Or to scan logs gathered from bug reports, use:

fwts oops -k dmesg.log -

== PPAs ==

I've had a lot of people asking me for a Ubuntu Maverick specific PPA
for fwts, so I've re-organised the PPAs a little.  For each release
(Maverick, Natty, Natty+1, etc) I will have two PPAs:

-devel  - to pick up the latest fwts features. It will contain the
latest cutting edge features and will probably be updated weekly (or
more frequently if I spot bugs!). I will try and ensure this is kept up
to date in all releases, so one can always get the latest code in all
releases from Maverick onwards.

-stable - for the stable code. This will contain the tried and tested
code for a release and will *freeze* at release freeze time.  There
after this code will only be updated with minor bug fixes and no new
features. For example, the maverick-stable is frozen at version V0.18.05
and won't change much now, however natty-stable will still be updated
periodically with "tried and tested" newer code that makes it into
Universe right up to release freeze time.   The -stable PPAs contains
code that get into Universe, hence it's "stable" and changes are very
conservative after feature freeze.

So, for Maverick, we have:

ppa:firmware-testing-team/ppa-firmware-test-suite-maverick-devel
ppa:firmware-testing-team/ppa-firmware-test-suite-maverick-stable

And for Natty, we have:

ppa:firmware-testing-team/ppa-firmware-test-suite-natty-devel
ppa:firmware-testing-team/ppa-firmware-test-suite-natty-stable

Hence, to install fwts, select the appropriate ppa and install using:

sudo add-apt-repository <ppa name>
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install fwts

I hope this is an improvement on the original PPA arrangement.

Colin