firmware-testing-team team mailing list archive

Re: Fwd: Re: Using FWTS for Certification

On 10/04/2012 12:30 AM, Brendan Donegan wrote:
On 24/09/12 14:11, Brendan Donegan wrote:
On 20/09/12 16:57, Jeff Lane wrote:

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: [Firmware-testing-team] Using FWTS for Certification
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2012 17:27:37 +0100
From: Colin Ian King <colin.king@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: firmware-testing-team@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

On 19/09/12 16:19, Brendan Donegan wrote:
(I hope this is the right mailing list)

Hi,

In Hardware Certification we have adopted FWTS for testing power
management (amongst other things), including S3, shutdown and
reboot. At
the moment it is giving us a few issues because FWTS is quite strict
about how it checks for kernel warnings and other issues. For Hardware
Certification we need to be less strict, but without ignoring any
problems which might be worthy of preventing the systems from being
certified. The purpose of this email is to kick off a dialogue about
which errors we really need to pay attention to for certification.

Can you elaborate a little more about the features that are causing you
problems and which ones are useful?  Maybe some examples too?
I'm working my way through all the failures we've seen, but just to
get the ball rolling, I offer this one as an example:

     1. 00054 summary         High failures: 1
     2. 00055 summary          klog test, at 1 log line: 15
     3. 00056 summary           "HIGH Kernel message: [ 1918.822903]
        [Firmware Bug]: ACPI: No _BQC method, cannot determine initial
        brightness"

_BQC is always interesting because ACPI spec does not explicitly say it is required for brightness but only sort of hints it; however, Linux kernel treats it as a bug and I don't think it it incorrect. We are always suggestion ODM/OEM BIOS to include _BQC in order to fix this error message.

Seen when running reboot tests. I assume the net effect of this bug
would be to reset the brightness upon every boot? Or would it break
the brightness control completely?
Here is another one we have come across on a Dell Optiplex XE during
poweroff and reboot tests:

FAILED [CRITICAL] KlogPciACPIOSCRequestFailedreturned: Test 1, CRITICAL
Kernel message: [ 0.530647]pci0000:00: ACPI _OSC request failed
(AE_NOT_FOUND), returned control    mask: 0x1dADVICE: The _OSC method
evaluation failed, which will result in disabling PCIe functionality,
for example, the Linux kernel has to disable Active State Power
Management (ASPM) which means that PCIe power management is not
optimally configured.

Can we get an idea of whether we can actually ignore these errors, why
they are considered critical and start a discussion about what we can do
to mitigate these failures?

AE_NOT_FOUND happens when a "Name" (i.e. a variable) is declared cannot be accessed. I have seen it a few times and this needs BIOS fixes most, if not all, of time.

More analysis can be done by reading dmesg and acpidump.

This failure is critical because a ACPI method (i.e. _OSC in this case) fails half way and and there may be function loss. This, however, may not have stability impacts because kernel may treat it as "function not supported" - i.e. _OSC never exists.

For instance, _OSC is necessary for PCIE but not for PCI and the new features in PCIE may be simply not enabled. Having say that, not all PCIE-related driver spends on the evaluation of _OSC, and not all features will be lost - this is a good example that BIOS only "suggests" how OS behaves, not necessarily controls it.

Thanks,

Colin