firmware-testing-team team mailing list archive

Re: What's an IRQ storm?

On 15/11/12 10:26, Brendan Donegan wrote:
Hi,

I've come across this critical FWTS failure on one system which
otherwise looks fine for certification:

FAILED [CRITICAL] KlogDisablingIRQ: Test 1, CRITICAL Kernel message: [
12.502739] Disabling IRQ #16
ADVICE: The kernel detected an irq storm. This is most probably an IRQ
routing bug.

(Full Log)
http://paste.ubuntu.com/1359992/

Shall I raise a kernel bug for this and can anyone shed any light on the
possible effects of this error/what it means?

So, this kernel error comes from kernel/irq/spurious.c, note_interrupt() which has detected that IRQ 16 has generated > 99900 interrupts but it seems that it's not being responded to so the IRQ has been disabled. We should have a bug filed and see why this is misbehaving.

I'd like to see what /proc/interrupts contains too.

Colin

Thanks,