folding-at-home team mailing list archive

Re: its been 3 months... how's it going?

On Tue, Apr 6, 2010 at 4:19 AM, Dayofswords <dayofswords@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>wrote:

> I haven't been folding since I don't have a computer that can be on long
> enough to finish in time, till then I want to just pop in and say...
>
> how are you guys doing? its been quiet...
> 3 months of silence
>
> also question: passkey or not
> with a passkey, are you still searchable on the ranking or what, I'm
> confused on this since you can fill in a passkey when searching

Hello again Daysofswords :)

It has been rather quiet as of late, and I suppose this is a good thing.
Hopefully everyone is folding away without issue, and maybe even forgetting
that they're folding altogether! That's the beauty of this project - the
'set it and forget it' mentality :)

As for the passkey, if you're not working on any of the new work units that
assign bonus points, I wouldn't bother setting up a passkey. It's just a way
that Stanford can verify that it is you who it completing the units, and not
someone else who may have tried to use the same user-name and team number.
What's the worst that can happen without a passkey?... Well someone else
folds, and the points are counted towards you. Doesn't seem terrible for
someone else to help you boost your points, eh? :)

I have been using a passkey for some time now. I was curious what it was
about and decided to set one up. Looking back on it now, I rather wish I
hadn't. Now I have a long passkey that I have to keep with me, and have to
make sure I enter it correctly any time I setup a new client. This can be
rather frustrating on a CLI based computer where I can't copy/paste the
passkey from my email, so I have to type it in manually every time. If you
lose this passkey, you basically lose your name, and your total points up
until that time. You would basically have to start over with a new name and
start climbing the ranks all over again.

So my overall advice on passkeys - don't make things complicated if you
don't *need* to. Enjoy being able to setup a client anywhere at anytime by
just knowing your user-name and team #45104 :)

- Woody