Re: Which kernel should we use in CentOS?

Andrew, Dmitry N,

Firstly, 3.10-lt kernel is an LTS kernel supported by Linux Foundation,
this is not a piece of some short-term supported code. Moreover, this
kernel has a support of much more hardware as it is not so ancient as
2.6.32 kernel is. We've already experienced issues with hardware
unsupported by 2.6.32 kernel. This makes our users pretty unhappy, that
they cannot use their newer hardware, even though it is supported by 3.10
and Ubuntu 3.x kernels. Thus, changing bootstrap kernel allows users to use
their newer hardware without breaking things as user is still able to
choose the kernel for main OS installation. Thus we faced the fact that we
need either to provide bootstrap with the newest LTS kernel or create
several bootstrap images, which looks much more complicated. We chose the
compromise. This is obviously a mistake, that we did not dicsuss this in
this ML. So, if you have any objections and you think that we should revert
this change, please, provide you arguments. In my opinion, changing only
the bootstrap image kernel is not a big deal.

Yours Faithfully,
Vladimir Kuklin,
Fuel Library Tech Lead,
Mirantis, Inc.