From:  Meg McRoberts <mmcroberts@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date:  Sunday, April 27, 2014 at 7:15 PM
To:  "fuel-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <fuel-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject:  [Fuel-dev] Should this be in the docs?

The FAQ includes the following; should this be included in the introductory
material somewhere or should it be relegated to Marketing documentation
and removed from the technical documentation?

meg

1. **[Q]** Why did you decide to provide OpenStack packages through your own
   repository?

   **[A]** We are fully committed to providing our customers with working
and
   stable bits and pieces in order to make successful OpenStack deployments.
   Please note that we do not distribute our own version of OpenStack; we
rather
   provide a plain vanilla distribution. Put simply, there is no vendor
lock-in
   with Fuel. For your convenience, we maintain repositories containing a
   history of OpenStack packages certified to work with our Puppet
manifests.

   We also ship patched or upgraded versions of some upstream packages. This
is
   necessary to incorporate fixes for known issues and performance
improvements.
   Sometimes these updates add features that are needed by OpenStack.

   The advantage of this approach is that you can install any OpenStack
version
   you want (with possible custom bug fixes). Even if you are running Essex,
   just use the Puppet manifests which reference OpenStack packages for
Essex
   from our repository. With each new release we add new OpenStack packages
   our repository and create a new branch with Puppet manifests (which, in
   turn, reference these packages) corresponding to each release. With EPEL
   this would not be possible, as that repository only keeps the latest
version