Re: Fuel upgrade procedures

Just to clarify, the current upgrade capability is limited to upgrading the
Fuel Master Node itself and not the previously deployed environments.
However, it is expected that an upgraded Fuel Master Node will be able to
continue managing previously deployed environments.  Basic use case would
be:
1. User installs Fuel from the Mirantis OpenStack 5.0 ISO
2. User deploys an OpenStack environment using the provided hardened
packages in the ISO (Icehouse 2014.1)
3. The environment successfully deploys and is up and running properly
4. User then upgrades to 5.0.1 from the Mirantis OpenStack 5.0.1 ISO
5. The Fuel Master Node is now version 5.0.1
6. This 5.0.1 Fuel Master Node must continue to provide the ability to
manage the previously deployed 5.0 environment, including log management,
health check, add and remove nodes, etc.
7. This 5.0.1 Fuel Master Node also deploys the newer hardened packages
found in the Mirantis OpenStack 5.0.1 ISO (Icehouse 2014.1.1) into new
environments
In 5.0.1, it is not expected that the Fuel Master Node will enable the
previously deployed 5.0 environment to be updated to 5.0.1. Patching of
existing environments is tentatively expected in the 5.1 milestone and
upgrading of the environment (e.g. from Icehouse to Juno) is tentatively
expected in the 6.x milestones.

Thanks,
- David J. Easter
  Director of Product Management,  Mirantis, Inc.

http://openstacksv.com/