g60-g70 team mailing list archive

G70-463CL works fine except for the (CPU) fan

Hey everyone,

I bought a G70-463CL about a month ago, and installed Lucid Lynx. Just about
everything works (ran through the System Testing utility), with the notable
exception of the main fan (Is it accurate to call it the CPU fan?), which
doesn't spin up at all. I googled quite a bit, learned about DSDTs and such,
but all to no avail: I just couldn't get it to work. I tried updating the
BIOS (it came with version F.35, latest on the HP website is F.63.A, which
is what I installed), to no avail.

The laptop came pre-loaded with Windows Vista (SP1, I think), but I wiped it
before I installed Ubuntu, so I don't know whether the problem was there to
begin with (although I doubt it -- the DSDT has a bunch of (Windows) OS
checks, and has a "Windows Vista" sticker). Interestingly, the brief while I
had Windows 7 installed on it (to flash the BIOS), the fan didn't spin up
either; I wonder if the HP drivers would fix that [on Windows], but haven't
tried it yet (it now refuses to install Windows 7, which I don't
particularly mind :-)

Assuming the hardware isn't broken, does anyone have any idea what might be
the issue here?

Have a great day,
Remoun