Re: 1.7.2 before Christmas? Also, 1.8.0, and feature branch status.

On 12/12/2011 6:30 AM, Dan McMahill wrote:
> On 12/10/2011 6:37 PM, Peter TB Brett wrote:
>
>>    As a rule, we should be providing manpages for all binaries installed
>>    in the $PATH.  Currently, the following lack manpages:
>>

>>    - pads_backannotate
>>    - pcb_backannotate
>>    - refdes_renum
>>    - sw2asc
>
> I'll make man pages for these.

Couple of quick questions.

1)  Do we have any sort of a man page linter that should be run?

2)  Some of those scripts have -V|--version options that are broken.
They are broken because they used to work by searching inside of $0
(ARGV[0]) and looking for an RCS Id.  Of course once we moved from cvs
to git that stopped "working".  I say "working" because it is not clear
that this was ever the correct version to report but it was better than
nothing.  So.... do I nuke that option entirely from the scripts?  I'd
sort of rather not because it is that much less debug information that
can go in a bug report.  If I keep it, any good ideas on how to get the
version information into shell scripts and perl programs?

3)  Looking at some of the existing man pages (gnetlist.1 for example),
I see a string like 1.7.1.20110619 in the header.  Is there a rule for
what should go here?

Thanks
-Dan