Stable 1.8 update and translation status

Hi folks,

Sorry for not circulating an update sooner -- I've been exceptionally
busy with my PhD research.

I've now resolved the issue that was obstructing getting translation
templates uploaded to Launchpad.  The 1.8 translations can be viewed and
edited at:

  https://translations.launchpad.net/geda/stable-1.8/+translations

I encourage you to get involved!  Current status:

  - en_GB and ru are fully translated (thank you!)

  - nl is really close

  - fr, de, ar, pl, es, and pt each have approx. 100 strings
    untranslated.

  - Someone has begun translations into Norwegian Bokmal and Occitan.

  - Our Chinese and Japanese translations still need lots of TLC. :-(

The 1.8.0 branch is in good health!  Bugs are being steadily squished,
and things are looking promising.  Because of the delay in getting
translations uploaded to Launchpad, though, I suspect we'll need to
either:

  - delay making a 1.8.0 release to the start of March at the earliest;

  - or release 1.8.0 more-or-less "as is", and update translations in
    subsequent 1.8.x releases.

What do y'all think?

BTW, the main blocker at the moment is fixing the wiki export, which in
turn is blocked by getting the wiki data dump from Ales.  Once that's
dealt with, we'll be able to make the release

                              Peter

--
Peter Brett <peter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Remote Sensing Research Group