Re: Clipboard Problems

On Monday 27 February 2012 03:44:45 Edward Hennessy wrote:
> All,
>
> I discovered a couple problems with the clipboard:
>
> Problem 1
> ~~~~~~~~~
>
> There is a problem with the clipboard paste operation when using the
> new Ubuntu style menus in 10.10. The menus are at the top of the
> screen instead of the top of the window. When selecting the paste
> operation from the drop down menu, the operation will fail if the
> cursor is outside the schematic window. If the window is positioned
> under the drop down menu, so that when the cursor lies within the
> window when the paste operation is selected, the operation will
> succeed. In older versions with the menu at the top of the window,
> the cursor would always fall within the extents of the window and
> succeed.
>
> In the system-gschemrc file, the paste operation always calls the
> hotkey version:
>
>            (,(N_ "_Copy")              clipboard-copy
> clipboard-copy          "gtk-copy") (,(N_ "_Paste")
> clipboard-paste-hotkey clipboard-paste-hotkey  "gtk-paste") (,(N_
> "_Delete")            edit-delete            edit-delete
> "gtk-delete"  )
>
> In the hotkey paste operation, inside file i_callbacks.c in function
> DEFINE_I_CALLBACK(clipboard_paste_hotkey), the function abandons the
> operation if the cursor is outside the extents of the window:
>
>   g_return_if_fail (w_current != NULL);
>
>   if (!x_event_get_pointer_position (w_current, TRUE, &wx, &wy))
>     return;
>
>   object_list = x_clipboard_get (w_current);
>
> I changed the clipboard-paste-hotkey to just clipboard-paste for the
> menu and it seems to work, but requires an extra click inside the
> window for the initial position of the item to paste.
>
> Does this change work for everyone?

Is there any way to remove the requirement for an extra click?  That's
definitely isn't the behaviour most users would expect.

> Problem 2
> ~~~~~~~~~
>
> For the proposed changes in 1.8 allowing the clipboard alternate
> formats such as plain text in addition to
> application/x-geda-schematic.
>
> This problem occurs when running gschem in a guest O/S on VMware
> fusion with clipboard sharing functionality enabled. When
> advertising clipboard data in both formats, VMware will recognize
> the text, retrieve the text data, and take ownership of the
> clipboard. The ability to paste application/x-geda-schemaic is lost.
>
> Not sure of the perfect fix, but not advertising plain text, and
> disabling the VMWare tools on the guest O/S both fix the problem.

This is definitely a bug in VMWare.  Advertising plain text is required
to allow people to paste schematic data into e.g. a text editor.

Either way, please submit both of these as "proper" bug reports!

                              Peter :-)

--
Peter Brett <peter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Remote Sensing Research Group