1.8.x branch and 1.8.0 release plans

Hi folks,

I noted some recent commits heading into the geda-gaf repo.  Nice to see
some work getting done!  This has galvanised me into looking at doing
something about actually releasing the 1.8.0 release that I meant to get
out at the start of 2012...

It looks like there have been both bug fixes and new features going into
'master', which has confused things slightly.  There are two options:

- Chuck away the current 'stable-1.8' branch (it's fully merged into
  master anyway) and just release from 'master'. This might be less
  work, but probably less than ideal -- there are a few
  relatively-untested new features in 'master' that probably should wait
  for a while.

- Persuade Gareth to cherry pick any relevant bugfixes into
  'stable-1.8'.

I personally vote for the latter option.

In theory, all that now needs to be done is to merge translations from
Launchpad, and then to make a release.  Comments?

                                Peter

--
Peter Brett <peter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Remote Sensing Research Group