Re: PLEASE STOP !!! - Re: [geda-user] Apollon

On 2015-09-15 22:16, Vladimir Zhbanov wrote:

And my two questions for all devs are:
  * Please answer if you are ready to change the current
    policy and add some other devs/users as admins to the admins of the
    gEDA administrator list?

A couple of further points:

* Running an open source project like gEDA democratically generally results in total chaos. It's always a good idea to have someone who's the "head maintainer." At the moment there's no-one who's filling that role. It used to be me, but increasingly severe RSI combined with moving away from doing electronics has meant that I don't have much bandwidth for gEDA these days [1].

* In general, the policy has historically been:

  a) Admins:

     - root access to the geda-project.org server
     - membership of the "gEDA Administrators" team on Launchpad
     - force push access to git repository.

  b) Trusted developers:

     - membership of "gEDA Developers" team on Launchpad
     - push access to git repository.

  c) Other:

- there's a "gEDA Bug Team" that used to be used by people who helped with bug triage, e.g. KaiMartin. But I don't know what the current status of that is.

This seems to be an appropriate "cascading level of trust". Obviously, I'd be interested to hear how the current active developers feel that this can be improved. I encourage people people with commit access to make sure they've been added to the gEDA Developers team, and that would be a good venue for discussion.

                         Peter

[1] I now work on open source software as my full-time job, so it's been harder to motivate myself to do it in my spare time too, I'm afraid.

--
Dr Peter Brett <peter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>