getdeb-collaboration team mailing list archive

Excluding files and directory in the final package.

It's good practice to exclude certain directories and files from the
final package. That way when a user installs a package it doesn't come
with unnecessary contents.
The sort of files and directories we are talking about are for example:
- .svn, .bzr There's no need for revision control directories for the
  final user.
- *.rej The files that failed to be patched.
- *.swp Left over vi files.

There are a whole bunch of other files.
Luckily the building packages provide us with an option to exclude
them. On the wiki I added a page that will tell you how to do is.

I encourage everybody to take a look at the page and start using it.
That way we create cleaner and smaller packages.

The page can be found here:
http://wiki.getdeb.net/PackagingGuide/TipsTricks/ExcludeFilesDirs

If you use an other method for creating a package please edit the page
and add how to implement the exclusion. If you can't edit the wiki page
just write back here and I'll take care of it.

Thank you everybody.

--
Peter van der Does

GPG key: E77E8E98

WordPress Plugin Developer
http://blog.avirtualhome.com

GetDeb Package Builder/GetDeb Site Coder
http://www.getdeb.net - Software you want for Ubuntu