getdeb-collaboration team mailing list archive

Re: GetDeb - Design Proposal - 2008/10/05

Brett,
thanks for your long time commitment an patience.

Abour your design, it looks more like a portal to the GetDeb project from a
general perspective, not from an end users perspective. Our target audience
are users searching for software, a few will care about collaborating (wiki)
or about we are doing (blog).
I don't think is a good idea to have prominent links to such resources at
this time, they have a very low activity and they are not visually
integrated with the main site.

I think our current site layout is ok and thanks to you and all the others
that helped on the last days we have fixed most of the major issues with the
design.

About the categories: (maybe we should call it "Filters" )
   * Alphabetical -> I agree
   * Categorical -> We have
   * Featured -> I would prefer to replace this with something like "Extra",
app not available on the repositories
   * License Type -> Too low interest to be available as main filter
   * Most Popular -> We need the download counts system implemented
   * Most Recent  -> This is the default view
   * New Releases -> The "Extra" is more interesting, people don't care
about new releases compared to their current version, that is a re gular
updated that you can find in "Most Recent".

In order to improve the filters we should:
a) Add those filters to the "Filter By" combo (we would keep the current
categories+Alphabetical+Most Popular+Better Rated+Extra)
a) Add a title/tabel that clearly describes the filter criteria, eg:
Alphabetical: Applications sorted by alphabetical order
Categorical: Sound & Video applications sorted by update date
Extra: Packages not available from the official repositories
Most Popular: Applications sorted by downloads
Better Rated: Applications sorted by rating
NOTE: The Alphabetical filter is a special case for which we should have the
nr of apps per page unlimited, and replace the page numbers index with the
letters.

The only option that could be implemented right now is the "Alphabetical",
the others depend on additional data and features that are not implemented
yet.

Best regards